A world financial registry
We need a global financial registry recording the beneficial owners of the world’s financial securities. Such a registry would make it possible to not only reduce tax evasion, but also curb money laundering, monitor international capital flows, fight kleptocracy, and better measure inequality.
- The desperate inequality behind global tax dodging, The Guardian, Gabriel Zucman, 8 November 2017
- Sanctions for offshore tax havens, transparency at home, New York Times, Gabriel Zucman, 7 April 2016.
- Un cadastre financier européen et américain serait un bien public mondial, Le Monde, Gabriel Zucman, 6 avril 2016.
Reforming the corporate tax
There is a simple fix to the artificial shifting of profits to low-tax countries. We could apportion the global profits of multinational firms proportionally to where they make their sales. Any country could unilaterally move to such a system, which would put an end to multinationals’ tax avoidance and tax competition.
- How Corporations and the Wealthy Avoid Taxes (and How to Stop Them), New York Times, Gabriel Zucman, 10 Novembre 2017
- La France peut prendre l’initiative d’un nouvel impôt fondé sur l’activité réelle des multinationales, Le Monde, Boris Vallaud et Gabriel Zucman, 13 Novembre 2018.
- Pour une vraie taxation des GAFA, Les Echos, 30 May 2018.
- 40 % des profits des multinationales sont délocalisés dans les paradis fiscaux, Le Monde, Gabriel Zucman, 7 Novembre 2017
- How to stop Trump from creating the world’s biggest tax haven, Le Monde (translated by WorldCrunch), Gabriel Zucman, 11 March 2017.
- Les Etats-Unis pourraient devenir le plus grand paradis fiscal de la planète, Le Monde, Gabriel Zucman, 8 Mars 2017.
- Taxing Across Borders: Tracking Personal Wealth and Corporate Profits, Journal of Economic Perspectives, Gabriel Zucman, 2014, 28(4): 121-148.
Regulating tax havens
Sanctions can change the incentives of the firms and countries that facilitate financial crimes. Banks and law firms found helping tax evasion should be put out of business. The United States and the European Union could impose proportional trade tariffs on non-cooperative tax havens. Tax cooperation needs to be put at the center of free-trade talks.
- If Ronaldo can’t beat Uruguay, the least he can do is pay taxes, New York Times, Gabriel Zucman, 3 July 2018
- Tax evaders exposed: why the super-rich are even richer than we thought, The Guardian, Annette Alstadsæter, Niels Johannesen and Gabriel Zucman, 14 June 2017.
- Inequality is the great concern of our age. So why do we tolerate rapacious, unjust tax havens?, The Guardian, Gabriel Zucman, 10 October 2015.
- Frappons plus durement les paradis fiscaux, Le Monde, Gabriel Zucman, 15 février 2015.
Fixing U.S. inequality
Income and wealth inequality have increased dramatically in the United States since the 1980s, much more than in the rest of the developed world. Policies play a key role in shaping the distribution of economic resources. A progressive wealth tax could make growth in America equitable again.
- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s Tax Hike Idea Is Not About Soaking the Rich, New York Times, Emmanuel Saez and Gabriel Zucman, 22 January 2019.
- Republican tax plan slams workers and job creators in favor of the rich and inherited wealth, Washington Center for Equitable Growth, Emmanuel Saez and Gabriel Zucman, 7 November 2017.
- Our broken economy, in one simple chart, New York Times, David Leonhardt, 7 August 2017.
- Economic growth in the United States: a tale of two countries, Washington Center for Equitable Growth, Thomas Piketty, Emmanuel Saez, and Gabriel Zucman, 6 December 2016.
- Exploding wealth inequality in the United States, Washington Center for Equitable Growth, Emmanuel Saez and Gabriel Zucman, 20 October 2014.
- La flat tax est une bombe à retardement pour les finances publiques, Le Monde, Gabriel Zucman, 25 Oct. 2017.
- “En classe eco”: Series of interviews for Mediapart on the state of economics with Camille Landais, 2015.